|ERAU Web Account Questions and Answers|
How to request a Linux server account at ERAU?
How do I get my Web information to my new Web account?
How do I get my files onto the server?
What HTML Editors are supported by the server or do you recommend?
How can I learn more about HTML?
What are the Web policies and procedures that govern my using this Web account?
How to request a Linux server account?
You will need an account on Mercury, our Unix Internet server. Follow the instructions below to request a Linux Account:
1. "Right Click" on the following link and select "Open in a new browser". Click here for the new account form!
2. Verify the requestors information and select the correct "Request Detail Type", by selecting "Prescott Campus" in the campus dropdown box and "Student Personal Account" for an account type on this server.
3. In the case of a faculty member, please open a ticket in TDX and notate for them to assign ticket to Infrastructure Server Team. Please ensure to provide students Full Name, ERAU ID, and Email Address.
4. The work order will be assigned to our Infrastructure Server Team.
5. The administrator will verify the requestors information and create their Linux account.
6. The administrator will send an [ENCRYPT] e-mail to you at your ERAU address with your user credentials. Learn more about encrypted emails
7. In the case of a faculty member's class roster, the administrator will send an [ENCRYPT] e-mail of the class roster to you with their user credentials.
How do I get my Web information to my new Web account? top
ERAU recommends using the built in client where possible. Windows, Linux, and macOS all have native SSH clients accessed by entering "ssh" on the command line. The following applications may also be used to authenticate to our Linux servers; MobaXTerm, WinSCP, Terminal (MacOSX), FileZilla (sFTP protocol), and Putty. Secure SH, Telnet, and FTP are no longer supported due to security issues.
1. Google the following applications mentioned above. If using a University machine, the Software Center may contain supported versions of these and other applications.
2. Install the latest version onto your machine.
3. Use the correct FQDN, mercury.pr.erau.edu as your host.
4. Linux is a case-sensitive Operating System. Therefore typing the correct username and password is important at login.
5. In case you are not able to successfully login, please open a ticket in TDX and notate for them to assign ticket to Infrastructure Server Team.
How do I get my files onto the server? top
1. Once you've installed the mentioned application, start the program.
2. Enter the host name: mercury.pr.erau.edu
3. Then enter the login name as your user name.
4. You will receive a warning message about "Unauthorized access to this or any other ERAU computer is strictly prohibited. Violators will be prosecuted."
5. Click OK and enter your password when prompted.
6. To transfer your files, you can drag and drop or secure copy the data to your home directory on mercury.pr.erau.edu.
7. The "public_html" directory is the folder to store your web content.
8. If you're experiencing difficulties with uploading your web content to mercury.pr.erau.edu, then open a ticket in TDX and notate for them to assign ticket to Infrastructure Server Team.
To make changes to a file on your site - drag the appropriate file(s) from your site (right side of screen) to your machine (left side), make the needed changes, and then drag the file(s) back.
To tell someone how to view your site - have them navigate to "http://mercury.pr.erau.edu/~myusername". As an example, John Doe, might have a user name of doej52c. The home page URL for him would be "http://mercury.pr.erau.edu/~doej52c". If you have any problems, questions or suggestions, please contact the Help Desk at (928) 777-6990 (or 6990 from on-campus) or open a ticket in TDX.
What HTML Editors are supported by the server or do you recommend? top
Any text editor will work, but those that support syntax highlighting will be more useful. Microsoft Visual Studio Code is a free text editor producted by a trusted company. Other text editors, such as Notepad++, can be found in the Software Center on domain-joined ERAU systems.
How can I learn more about HTML? top
Resources for HTML are available from almost any search engine. You might want to try searching for "html tutorials". You can use LinkedIn Learning via ERNIE for additional resources LinkedIn Learning
What are the Web policies and procedures that govern my using this Web account? top
University Policies and Procedures are located at https://appm.erau.edu. These polices pertain to all University constituents, and you agree to abide by these and other applicable policies, specifically APPM 7.5 - Acceptable Use of University Computing Resources, when using this service . References specific to technology fall under Section 7 - Information Technology.